Happy Apricot Day
- Apricots are grown on medium sized trees and are believed to have originated in China over 4,000 years ago.
- Apricots were first introduced to America by Spanish explorers.
- Today, apricots are grown in the United States including California, Indiana, and Washington.
- Internationally, apricots are grown in Chile, New Zealand, Turkey, France, Spain, and Italy.
- California produces 95% of the apricots produced in the United States.
- Apricots grown in the United States are available from May to August.
- Apricots are a part of the rose family and a relative to peaches.
- Low in calories
- High in Vitamin A
- Contain Vitamin C
- Good Source of potassium and fiber
Choosing a Apricot
- Choose fresh plump apricots with a golden orange color.
- Avoid apricots that are yellow, greenish-yellow, shriveled or brown.
- Soft apricots have the best flavor
Apricots can be eaten fresh, dried, or even cooked with as toppings for meats or desserts!
What is your favorite way to eat apricots?
Coordinated Program in Dietetics, Student
University of Idaho
*I was not compensated for writing this post